Drysdale Special Trains
Drysdale Special Trains
Four Saturdays Only!
FEBRUARY 10th & 24th, MARCH 9th & 23rd
Enjoy a longer journey behind our heritage steam locomotive, along the Drysdale to Lakers Siding section of The Bellarine Railway. These services are running to train our new drivers on this section and are open for the public to experience the sights and sounds of steam from Drysdale.
The Bellarine Railway is giving you an opportunity to ride behind our 106 year old Steam Locomotive from Drysdale to Lakers Siding and Return – a 90 minute round trip!
The section from Drysdale to Lakers Siding offers a very different experience to that of the Lakers Siding to Queenscliff section. With hills as steep as 1 in 50, the steam engine will be working hard to drag the heavy train over the hills. There is also a trestle bridge to look out for, and some of the most beautiful views our railway has to offer near Suma Park Station.
This is a rare opportunity so don’t miss out. V/Line operated driver training trains back in the 1990’s and this has not been done since. So don’t miss out!
Regularly scheduled trains to/from Drysdale ceased in 2020, and we are working tirelessly to return this service in the future. These four running days are an important step in that process, and we would love you to join us!
Train Times and Tickets
All trains will depart from Drysdale Station (2-10 Station Street, Drysdale) and run 35 minutes to Lakers Siding, where the locomotive will be serviced for 15 minutes in preparation for the 35 minute return journey. The train will run on the dates and times listed below.
Dates : February 10th & 24th, March 9th & 23rd
Times : 10:30am – 12:30pm – 2:20pm
Tickets : $18.50 per person
Every train will make a stop at Suma Park on the return journey, for passengers to access the toilets. The longest time between toilet stops will be 50 minutes. Please note that this train does not travel to Queenscliff.
We strongly advise booking online for this train, as we only have 200 seats per train. The Drysdale Station booking office will be open at peak times on the running days for light refreshments and on-the-day bookings, if not sold out prior. Tickets for this train will be sold at a general admission price per passenger. There will be no concession/child/family tickets or compartment reservations, as this is a special train. Toddlers/Babies from ages 0-3 will not require a ticket to this service.
These four running days have been rostered for the purposes of steam locomotive driver training and will run for the above dates and times only. A regularly scheduled train to Drysdale will return in the near future.
Online bookings close at 10am on each running day, with tickets available at the gate, unless sold out prior.
While the advertised service is planned to be hauled by a steam locomotive, we reserve the right to use a diesel locomotive on days of Total Fire Ban and when repair and maintenance are needed.
By booking tickets you confirm that you have read and accepted the service information, requirements, disclaimers, fees and terms detailed on this page.
Terms and Conditions
These special trains will depart from the DRYSDALE STATION: 2-10 Station Street, Drysdale 3222 VIC (a right turn off High Street)
- Online bookings close at 10am on each train running day.
- Tickets are not refundable unless the operator cancels the service outright.
- The Drysdale Driver Training Trains have a fixed capacity of 200 passengers per train.
- When booking tickets you agree to receive an email requesting optional feedback after your visit, to give us valuable information on ways we can improve.
- There are no allocated carriages or seats, we reserve the right to ask to share ‘sets’ of seats, to accommodate fellow passengers.
- Patrons are advised that our heritage carriages may not be accessible to all wheelchairs, depending on the width of the chair.
- We recommend calling 5258 2069 during business hours (at least 48 hours prior) to discuss how we can best meet your needs.
Photography & Videos
- From time to time The Bellarine Railway carries out photography and/or video recording which may feature visitors on its premises. By booking, you agree that The Bellarine Railway may use such images in perpetuity in any promotional, advertising or publicity material in any format whatsoever. You further agree that copyright in these materials rests with The Bellarine Railway.
- Service timetables, calendars, motive power (steam/diesel), and fares may be altered with little or no advance notice.
- We reserve the right to operate the scheduled service with a diesel locomotive due to maintenance requirements or days of Total Fire Ban. On days of extreme weather, we also reserve the right to cancel the day’s service.
Changing Train Date/Service
- Tickets are non-refundable unless the operator cancels the service outright.
- If this special service is cancelled we will offer a full refund to all passengers. This condition only applies to the Drysdale Driver Training Trains February / March 2024, and in the instance that the train is completely cancelled and does not run.
- Requests for day-of-travel changes will only be considered when received via email – HERE – no less than, 48 hours before the pre-booked date.